Katlynn Walters, a senior from Jackson High School in Massillon, recently served as Legislator for a Day in Columbus with State Representative Christina Hagan (R- Alliance).

Walters shadowed Hagan after meeting the representative in government class this past semester. Dan Michel, the government teacher at Jackson, encouraged his class to take the representative up on her offer to host the students in Columbus and learn firsthand how state government operates.

“This was an opportunity I felt I could not pass up and an experience I will never forget,” Walters said. “The representative and everyone else I met were all amazing and inspiring people. I thank Representative Hagan and Jessica Stepleton, her legislative aide, for allowing me this opportunity, and I can't wait to share about this experience with my friends and family.”

Walter’s day started with a meeting to discuss the office’s schedule, pending legislation and Stark County’s most pressing issues. Walters and Hagan shared lunch with the Stark County Farm Bureau to learn more about the most important agricultural issues. They then attended a legislative session that lasted several hours.

“I learned something new at the Statehouse. It’s that you have to have an absolute passion for what you are trying to do, and when you do have passion, you can do anything, no matter what,” Walters said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment